Ensure Your Pet is Safe from These Five Common Household Dangers
In celebration of National Animal Poison Prevention Week (March 19-25), our team wants to share a few household products that can be unhealthy for pets. Let’s spread awareness and make sure we keep our furry friends safe!
Pets, especially food-motivated dogs, have a tendency to consume the most typical household hazard: medications. They could find an entire container of beef-flavored heartworm preventatives; their proprietor’s prescription medication or even scour through visitors’ suitcases. Ingesting such doses can be dangerous and potentially fatal for our pets – in case this happens, immediately contact your animal poison control hotline!
Your furry friend may find the kitchen to be a tantalizing place full of potential dangers. Chocolate, macadamia nuts, xylitol, avocados, and unbaked yeast dough are only some of the hazardous foods that can trigger serious medical issues in pets such as kidney failure, alcohol poisoning, and even seizures. In order to protect your pet’s health while you’re cooking up something delicious in the kitchen, avoid allowing them any access or curiosity around food items on counters. Additionally, invest in a locking trashcan with secure lids, so their noses aren’t tempted by discarded goodies either!
#3: Household chemicals
To protect your pet from potential harm, store the following common chemicals safely and securely away from their reach: cleaning products, disinfectants, aerosol air fresheners, candles, antifreeze, windshield washer fluid, paint, glue, and nail polish remover. Doing this will help provide a safe environment for both you and your furry friend!
Keeping houseplants alive may come with a hidden danger: many of the chemicals used to help them thrive can be deadly for pets. In particular, cats are especially vulnerable to lilies—even contact with the pollen from these plants can be lethal. Other common hazardous houseplants include dieffenbachia, elephant ear, and spider plants; outdoor varieties such as ivy and oleander should also be avoided. Before bringing any bouquet into your home or adding greenery to your garden space, check the ASPCA’s toxic plant list first in order to guarantee that your blooms won’t threaten the health of beloved family members!
#5: Batteries and coins
Ingesting batteries and coins can lead to metal poisoning in pets while puncturing said objects may cause chemical burns. Moreover, if swallowed whole, these batteries may result in gastrointestinal blockage.
If you think your pet has come into contact with a toxic substance, contact our team immediately.