- What is a gastropexy?
- A gastropexy is a surgical procedure in which the stomach is permanently attached to the body wall to keep it in place. Most commonly, this is done at the same time your dog is spayed or neutered, but it can easily be done at any time in your pet’s life.
- Most patients recover incredibly well, similar to having been spayed. They almost always go home the same day as their surgery.
- Why would I want to do this for my dog?
- Deep-chested dog breeds such as Great Danes, Labrador Retrievers, Golden Retrievers, Shepherds, and many others are at risk for developing a condition called Gastric Dilation and Volvulus, or GDV for short.
- When a GDV occurs, the stomach fills with gas and then rotates. This is a life-threatening condition that must be treated with emergency surgery.
A gastropexy keeps the stomach from rotating, so a GDV cannot occur. This gives many owners peace of mind.